Lake County Court of Common Pleas, Domestic Relations Division
Judge Colleen A. Falkowski was elected to serve as Court of Common Pleas, Domestic Relations Division Judge beginning January 2, 2003. She is a graduate of Ursuline College (cum laude) and Cleveland-Marshall College of Law. In her 23 years experience before becoming a Judge, she served Lake County families as a Chief Assistant Prosecuting Attorney in Juvenile and Domestic Relations Courts and as the staff attorney for the Child Support Enforcement Agency of the Lake County Department of Human Services.
Since 2003, Judge Falkowski has added innovations, including:
- Creation of a full-time mediation program staffed by Magistrates who are experienced family law attorneys
- Creation of a program for children ages 6-11 about divorce and their emotions.
- Holding a quarterly legal clinic, co-sponsored by the Legal Aid Society of Cleveland, Lake County Bar Association, Family Law Committee, and the ADAMHS Board for spouses who cannot afford an attorney to file for divorce.
- Holding continuing legal education classes for attorneys on mental health issues and guardians ad litem for required continuing legal education.
- Providing the home base and handler for the Lake County Court of Common Pleas Judges’ Facility Dog, Atticus, a yellow lab.
Judge Colleen A. Falkowski is appointed by Chief Justice Maureen O’Connor as a member of both the Supreme Court’s Commission on Dispute Resolution and Advisory Committee on Children, Families, and the Courts.
Judge Falkowski also serves as:
- Past President of the Ohio Association of Domestic Relations Judges and current Treasurer.
- Member of the Ohio Judicial College Domestic Relations Practice and Procedure Committee, founding and current member.
- Board member of the Ohio Chapter of the Association of Family and Conciliation Courts (AFCC).
- Judge Falkowski was honored with the 2015 Presidential Award by the Ohio Legal Services Foundation for the Legal Clinic Collaboration.
- Leadership Lake County’s Leader of the Year in 2015.
- National award received from the American Judges Association Chief Justice Richard W. Holmes Award of Merit in 2015.